Welcome to the online companion for An Introduction to Sociolinguistics (Fifth Edition). The resources provided here are designed either for the student seeking to support their own self-study or for teachers of sociolinguistics to use in preparing their classes.
It is split into four sections:
- Interactive activities: This will take you to a portal containing a range of interactive learning activities that involve a mixture of video clips and feedback on user interaction to enhance and extend the exercises from the book. These activities will be added to from time to time.
- Audio and video examples: These are all available on our YouTube channel, the content of which will change over time, but is organised by chapter for ease of reference to the book.
- Maps: A selection of interactive Google Maps showing some of the locations we mention in the book.
- Learning and teaching resources: Teachers will find a selection of classroom activities here that we have created and used in the sociolinguistics course we have taught. Like the videos, this will be updated over time.
- Glossary: A digital version of the glossary found in the text book.
Please note that although audio icons appear in the textbook, only video files are currently available on this website. We apologise for this discrepancy which will be amended in any future editions of the textbook.
Book Information Complimentary Exam Copy